Please complete the fact sheet for EACH AHEC rotation, using your Link Blue ID.
Please submit the off-site assessment form no later than one week after each rotation.
Please read through the Rotation Information page BEFORE your AHEC rotation.
AHEC, What Does That Mean?
The University of Kentucky Area Health Education Center (AHEC) Program is a collaborative effort with the University of Kentucky, the University of Louisville Health Science Center and eight regional centers to positively affect the distribution of health professionals throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky. The eight regional centers, or AHECs, are strategically located throughout the state. In short, AHEC works to support, train, recruit and retain the best health professionals in Kentucky.
Mobile Patient Simulator
Click HERE to learn more about how UK AHEC's Mobile Patient Simulator promotes health career professions to middle school, high school and college-age students by providing opportunities for participants to interact with “life-like” medical simulators.
National AHEC Organization
Click HERE to learn more about the National AHEC Organization on their website.
Why Does Area Health Education Matter?
Each AHEC is directed by an Advisory Board composed of community leaders and health care practitioners from each region. The AHECs are staffed by a Center Director and support staff that work with their communities to accomplish these goals:
- Provide resident and student educational rotations away from the university medical centers
- Emphasize, promote and support primary care
- Assist in the recruitment and retention of needed health professionals
- Maintain library/learning resource centers and networks that serve students, preceptors and practicing health care professional in the areas
- Provide health education to communities through health awareness and health promotion programs
- Develop health careers awareness programs for youth, especially minority and disadvantaged students, and recruit participants for health professions preparation workshops
- Provide continuing education programs at the local and regional level